What is Hypnobirthing?
“Mind over matter”, “mindfulness”, “meditation” or “deep relaxation”, whatever you want to call Hypnobirthing it is a fantastic tool that has been proven repeatedly to help women and their partners have the best child birth for them. In fact, as far back as 1957 the British Medical Association recognised it “as an effective method for relieving pain in childbirth” and recommended that all doctors should train in hypnotherapy.
But what is it?
Hypnobirthing is the use of visualisation, deep breathing, and relaxation techniques to help give you a better birth experience.
Me, you and baby too
use the Royal College of Midwives accredited KGHypnobirthing
This programme is evidence based and has proven to be very effective, see the videos here
for further information.
The KGHypnobirthing scripts, which are the audio aids you will use, have been profesionally written by experienced hypnotherapists.
Don't worry - you won't lose consciousness and no one will be able to persuade you to dance like a chicken during your Hypnobirth!
You are more likely to enjoy feeling deeply relaxed and calm.
Audio aids and the KGHypnobirthing book will be provided on the course to help you continue practising in the privacy of your home.
Regular practise is important so that the information you learn becomes embedded in the subconscious mind, ready to use on the big day.
Hypnobirthing cannot prevent the unexpected things in labour, but it does give you the strategies you need to remain calm and relaxed so that you can make the right choices for you during your labour and enjoy the best possible birth.
- Understanding how your mind and body works together, and how fear and tension can contribute to the feeling of increased pain.
- How your body is made to give birth with efficiency and comfort.
- Effective work to release fear and give you confidence in yourself.
- Relaxation, visualisations, light massage and breathing techniques.
- A practice regime for when at home.
- How the birth partner can support and protect the birthing mother.
- How to confidently work with health professionals to ensure you get the appropriate birth for you.
- Helps you eliminate any fears of giving birth and build confidence in you, your body and your baby.
- Can provide a more comfortable and possibly pain free birth.
- Labour length can be reduced as your body and mind work in harmony.
- Less need for pharmacological drugs.
- Your birth partner has an active role and helps support you have the best possible birth.
We advise that you can start at any time in your pregnancy, but ideally from 20 weeks on. The earlier you do start Hypnobirthing, the more time you have to practise and the more prepared you will be on the big day. Please contact us directly if you are more than 35 weeks pregnant.
Your birth partner is the ideal companion as they will be learning techniques on the course which will help to support and protect you in labour. If your birth partner is unavailable, a supportive friend or relative is also welcome.
Our hypnobirthing classes in Manchester are held on a monthly basis at The Ringway Golf Club, Hale Barns. Please see Venue
for dates, times and prices.
Register for a course in our venues section or contact us for further information.